Property managers answer to more than one boss. They protect a property’s bottom line while also supporting the needs of tenants. When the topic is roof replacement, keeping building occupants happy while conserving funds is a fine balancing act.
Knowledge of the steps of commercial roof replacement makes the property manager’s life easier.
How Roof Replacement is Determined
The facilities manager is responsible for maintaining up-to-date information on the condition of your property’s roof. Factors that affect your roof’s need for a replacement:
- The age of the roof
- Seasonal accessibility—Hurricane season is no time to tear off a roof
- The existing roofing material
- Fund allocation—Extensive repairs may have to suffice until another budget year
Be honest with your contractor and your tenants. If a roof replacement is unaffordable this fiscal year, then update tenants on the protocol for leaks, discovery of mold or mildew. A proper schedule for increased maintenance and repair should be made.
Keep in mind: spending money on repairs may cost more in the long run, if the roofing will need to be replaced in the near future.
If a roof replacement is required, explain to tenants that the process will cause minimal disruption to their daily routine.
Advantages to Roof Replacement
Rather than view a new roof replacement as strictly an expense, it is best to understand that a quality roof replacement offers opportunities to build in long-term savings:
- Cool Roofing—The U.S. Department of Energy and its Energy Star program recommend cool roofing solutions, especially for hot climates such as the Oakland Park area
- Green Roofing—Using environmentally friendly materials, properly disposing of and recycling old roofing, avoiding harsh chemicals, the green roof is not only economically sound but also a good way to promote your property’s community spirit
- Vegetative Roofing—Using plants and soil to defend against the sun’s damaging ultraviolet rays, this roofing choice can extend, rather than shorten, the service life of your roof
Cool roofs are a good option for any residential or commercial roof application. In sunny climates, they can save a large amount in cooling costs.
An additional benefit of roof replacement: your facility can be brought up to current Florida building codes, especially hurricane codes, quickly and efficiently.
Know When to Call
Contact PSI Roofing when you first start to consider roof replacement. We can work with you to allay tenants’ concerns, protect your budget, and protect your property.